The Work Department is about more than just making stuff look good. We visualize meaningful content in and create custom experiences in a way that puts people first and is empathetic to diverse audiences. Our team brings an interdisciplinary lens to tough social challenges, and our innovative design thinking, leadership, management, and honed craft are bundled into one fun, smart, and effective package. All of our work is collaborative, and our project managers ensure that client work gets done on time, on budget and maintains design integrity. Internally, project managers are responsible for using these interdisciplinary principles to continually hone the studio’s process, efficiency and operations.
About The Work Department
We’re a women-led social innovation design firm based in Detroit, Michigan. We use human-centered and participatory design to reinvent experiences, improve communication, and increase advocacy. We accomplish more by translating complex information into things that everyday people can understand. By co-creating innovative tools and resources, we empower businesses and organizations to more effectively carry out their missions and realize greater impact. Together, we're building stronger communities with better design.
Since 2008, we’ve had the opportunity to work with and strengthen over 40 local and national, public and private entities. To learn more about our services and review our comprehensive client list, please see Our Work.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Drafts work plan and manages timeline
- Practices “elastic planning” which harmonizes the day-to-day details while simultaneously envisioning longer-term overarching work plans
- Works with diverse teams to schedule the time needed to get each phase of a project done
- Manages internal and client project scope in agile environments
- Communicates with firm Partners to coordinate and obtain necessary approvals on project progress at various work plan milestones
- Manages client expectations and helps educate clients around professional best practices
- Manages interdisciplinary team’s roles, output, and ongoing questions as they arise relative to work
- Facilitation of project management and work plan planning sessions with teams
- Occasional content development, including original writing and editing
Qualifications & Skills
- 5+ years of project management/production experience in a creative firm or agency, including:
- Preparing and negotiating contracts with clients, vendors and independent contractors
- Experience with producing a variety of print materials
- Experience producing digital deliverables, including custom websites and social media content
- Experience producing experiences, including custom workshops, engagements, prototype testing, and other events
- Managing time, roles and expectations of a team of 5 or more junior and senior designers
- Managing time, roles and expectations of a diverse portfolio of clients from both the private and public sectors
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Strong listening skills (and an authentic sensitivity to diverse stakeholder perspectives)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong logistic ability to manage day-to-day needs while also planning for long-term responsibilities and anticipated studio capacity
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite programs, especially InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Proficiency in updating CMS (Drupal, Wordpress, and Squarespace)
- 3+ years of experience with Basecamp, Teamwork, or other popular project management tools
- 3+ years of experience with collaborative co-design and sharing tools like Google docs, Trello, Box, Dropbox, and Slack
- 3+ years of experience with Microsoft Office
Email email@example.com to apply. Please provide a brief introduction and a resume.
Deadline to apply is March 9, 2017.